Fruits and vegetables
- 1 cup of fresh fruit or juice, daily
- 1 cup of vegetables daily (fresh, frozen, canned, juice, etc.)
Breads and cereals
- ½ cup of low-sugar cold or hot cereal
- ½ to 1 slice of toasted whole wheat or whole grain each day.
- Please note: some patients have difficulty eating bread
Meat, fish, poultry, eggs
- 3 oz. of meat, fish, poultry, plus one egg each day. Remove all visible fat from the meat, and skin from chicken. Prepare the meat with low-fat cooking by grilling, steaming, microwave or boil.
- Please note: some patients may have difficulty eating meat due to the fibers
- Choose a minimum of 2 cups of skimmed milk, light yogurt or low fat cottage cheese per day. Dairy foods are a good source of calcium and protein, which makes them an important part of weight loss
- Limit the use of fat to 3 to 4 teaspoons of margarine, butter or oil per day. You can have low-fat salad dressing and mayonnaise in moderation. Avoid deep fat fried foods and high fat foods such as chips, snack crackers, etc.
Suitable drinks are:
- Sip fluids through-out the day. Note: do not drink with meals
- Tea or coffee with low-calorie sweetener
- Non-carbonated beverages containing few or no calories (Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool Aid, flavored water, etc.)