Demonstrating Our Commitment to Excellence
The Joint Commission: A Certificate of Distinction recognizes primary stroke centers that make exceptional efforts to foster better outcomes for stroke care. These centers:
- Having met state-of-the-art Quality Standards and Criteria
- The certification program for Primary Stroke Centers was developed in collaboration with the American Stroke Association.
- the facility has Highly Skilled, Seasoned Evaluators
- All certification evaluations are conducted by individuals with many years of practical
experience in care management.
- Primary Stroke Centers benefit from the experience of a thorough, efficient and educational review process.
We believe that Saint Elizabeth's certification as a Primary Stroke Center "sets us apart from the rest”.
Signals to Our Community that our Primary Stroke Center’s care:
Did You know:
- is patient-centered
- employs performance measures to promote continuous improvement in health status
- encourages interaction and communication among the provider team
- requires the use of nationally recognized guidelines
- evaluates its care delivery sites to help put quality where it counts.
Primary Stroke Centers will improve these statistics!
- Every 45 seconds, someone in America has a stroke*
- Stroke is the nation’s No. 3 cause of death and a leading cause of serious, long-term disability*
- About 700,000 Americans will have a stroke this year and 168,000 of them will die*
*Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Center for Health Statistics
The Saint Elizabeth Primary Stroke Center multi disciplinary team is based on the Joint Commission’s Primary Stroke Center Certification program requirements and the American Stroke Association Brain Attack Coalition recommendations, which include:
- Hospital and Administrative Support
- Acute Stroke Team
- Written Care Protocols
- Emergency Medical Systems
- Emergency Department
- Stroke Units
- Neurosurgical Services
- Laboratory Services
- Outcomes/Quality Improvement
- Educational Programs
Our multidisplianary team which cares for stroke and/or transient ischemic attack patients is comprised of the following departments:
- Emergency Department
- Stroke Unit
- Critical Care Unit
- Respiratory Care
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Social Work